~ "By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established; Through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures." ~ "Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing" ~ "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy." ~ "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."~

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Shepherd's Pie...Gordon Ramsay's Version


Shepherd's Pie...Gordon Ramsay's version. This recipe is ideal to make when you have leftover mashed potatoes from the previous day. This dish is traditionally made with ground lamb, but I have often made it with ground turkey or ground beef. It doesn't take that long to prepare and actually you can assemble it the morning of..... and bake it later for lunch or dinner. You can easily add different vegetables to the shepherd's pie. I often like to add corn, peas, mushrooms etc... I have been wanting to make Gordon Ramsay's version for some time now. I thought it would be perfect to make this recipe on a cold/rainy. So when we had some rainy/cold weather this past week, I decided it was the perfect opportunity to finally make it. I did try to stay as close to the recipe as possible:). But, I know my husband loves mushrooms so I added them as a layer. I chose to sprinkle some mozzarella cheese on top of the mashed potatoes...they formed a baked cheese layer. If you don't care for the cheese layer just skip it all together. I used slightly less meat and therefore I adjusted the amounts of some of the other ingredients. The wine in the recipe definitely brings a whole deal of flavor. I am sure you can omit the wine, if you don't have any, with some more chicken stock..... The flavors of the shepherd's pie were just wonderful. I will definitely be making this again...


You will need: Somewhat adapted from Gordon Ramsay's Shepherd's Pie

1 1/2 lbs very lean ground beef (or lamb)
1 TBS olive oil
1/2 large onion, grated
1 large carrot, grated
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
1-2 TBS Worcestershire sauce
2 TBS tomato paste
1 tsp fresh thyme
1 tsp chopped rosemary(I used dry)
1/2-3/4 cups red wine
1/2 cups chicken broth
2 tsp salt, or to taste
Other layers:
1 -1/2 cups baby bella mushrooms
3 cups mashed potatoes
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
Directions:
Clean and slice mushrooms.Heat a non stick skillet with about 2 tsp olive oil add sliced mushrooms.
Season with some salt and pepper. Cook until almost all the liquid has evaporated.
Set aside. Grate onion, carrots and garlic. Set aside.
In a large skillet, heat olive oil, stir fry beef until no longer pink.
Drain off excess grease. Add onion, garlic, and carrot and stir fry for 3-5 minutes.

Add Worcestershire sauce and tomato paste. Season with thyme and rosemary and cook for about 1 minute.
Add wine and simmer until wine has almost evaporated.
Add the broth and simmer for 5 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Taste and adjust seasoning.

Transfer beef to a deep dish....you can use an 8x8 square pan or you can make individual servings as I did.
Layer some mushrooms on top of the beef.

Spoon mashed potato on top of beef.
Sprinkle with 1 T grated Parmesan cheese and 1 TBS of your favorite grated cheese(mozzarella,cheddar,etc...). Bake in a 375° F oven for 20 minutes or until top is brown and heated through.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Hi Ellie :) Just wanted to stop by and thank you for posting this. I made it right after I saw this post and we loved it! I did have to change some things to suit or tastes, but overall a fab dish. I posted about it and linked to your post :) http://amandascookin.blogspot.com/2009/07/shepherds-pie.html

Ellie said...

Amanda,
Thanks so much for linking back to my site. I read your post and you did a fabulous job. I jost love it when people adjust the recipe to fit their family's needs:). I think I too will try using zucchini next time:). Great idea! With summer here, I will have plenty of zucchini to use up.

Memória said...

Thanks for thinking of the non-alcohol-drinking people :). I will be making this soon. YUM!

Ellie said...

Memoria,
Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment...you can definitely omit the wine. You can simply add a bit more chicken/beef stock. It should be just as delicious:)Hope you enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

Ellie,
Found your Shepherd's Pie recipe when I did a google search. I was looking for something that would help use up a bunch of potatoes before they went bad (I do it every time though - buy 10 lbs. of potatoes because buying 5 lbs. costs almost as much). I made it tonight and must say it was wonderful. I only used 1 lb. of ground beef, omitted the wine and used 1 cup of beef broth, everything else was per your recipe. Thanks so much. Can't wait for tomorrows leftovers

Ellie said...

Anon, Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback. I am so glad you enjoyed the pie... relate to the 10 lb bag of potatoes:).
I love how you've substituted beef broth for the wine and made the recipe work for you. We love this dish... and the leftovers are just as delicious!